Climate Leadership: What’s Next?
About the Session
- What else can we do as sustainability leaders and decision-makers to act swiftly and appropriately against the climate crisis?
- Looking at key observations from the financial and corporate landscape to guide sustainability strategy development moving forward.
- Exploring our mission to help operate and invest in technology companies to solve today’s environmental challenges.
- How can we accelerate the data revolution and better deliver on our promise of building a more sustainable future?
- What are the challenges ahead?
Track: Visionary 200 Sustainability Summit
Presentation Style: Thought Leadership
Audience Type: Sustainability, Environmental, Social, Governance, Supply Chain
Dr. Lucas Joppa is Senior Managing Director and Chief Sustainability Officer at Haveli, a technology focused private equity firm. Previously, Dr. Joppa was Microsoft’s first Chief Environmental Scientist, and then first Chief Environmental Officer, leading the development and execution of the company’s sustainability strategy across its worldwide business including Microsoft’s historic carbon negative, water positive, and zero waste sustainability commitments, as well as the establishment of their AI for Earth initiative and development of their Planetary Computer platform. With a combined background in both environmental science and data science, Dr. Joppa is committed to using the power of technology to advance a growing movement to address the world’s sustainability needs.
Recognized by Fortune magazine in its “40 Under 40” list, Dr. Joppa is a uniquely accredited voice for sustainability in the tech industry. He has been recognized as one of the world’s most highly cited researchers, is an Associate Editor in Chief for the Ecological Society of America’s EcoSphere journal, an honorary Fellow at the UN Environment Program World Conservation Monitoring Center and serves on the boards of organizations dedicated to environmental sustainability around the world.
Dr. Joppa remains an active scientist, speaking frequently on issues related to technology, artificial intelligence, environmental science, sustainability, and ESG. Along with his Ph.D., Dr. Joppa holds a B.S. in Wildlife Ecology from the University of Wisconsin and is a former Peace Corps volunteer to Malawi.